UN Global Compact
Lidl is committed to the goals of the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) and adhering to ten principles of sustainability in the areas of human rights, social standards, environment and anti-corruption. Joining the UNGC underlines Lidl’s long-standing commitment to sustainability.
Learn more about the UNGC here.
The United Nations Global Compact
Our entry into the UNGC – the world’s largest and most important initiative for responsible corporate governance – is intended as a supplement and orientation framework for the many and varied activities and standards of our sustainability commitment that have already been developed and implemented. For us, responsibility and sustainability are not just promises, but the binding basis of our practical actions and the key to Lidl’s future success and growth.
The UNGC consists of ten principles for responsible corporate governance in the areas of human rights, labour standards, environment and anti-corruption. We see the ten principles of the UN initiative as supplementary guidelines for our extensive commitment to people and the environment that has grown over the years.
The ten principles of the UNGC
- Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights.
- Businesses should make sure that they are not complicit in human right abuses.
- Business should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining.
- Business should uphold the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour.
- Business should uphold the effective abolition of child labour.
- Business should uphold the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Business should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges.
- Business should undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility.
- Business should encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Business should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.